Friday, June 8, 2012

Malls and Walmart and Pools...Oh My!!

Well friends, yesterday and today were busy days for the young Mister Zoltan and I. He is now 4 months old and his manners are just getting better by the day! I am truly impressed every day by his amazing will to learn and the way he just stares at me waiting for his next command. I mean, most of the time when we train I do have a treat pouch attached to my hip, but I digress. He is still a very attentive pup even when I don't have food attached to my body!


We started off our adventures yesterday with a visit to my grandmother's nursing home. She is in the Alzheimer's unit so there is always something interesting going on. Definitely a great way to socialize a future service dog! After that I learned about a last minute conference call that I had for work. I work in retail at Victoria's Secret and I'm in the AIM (aka Associates Interested in Management) program. So I told them I could sit in for the call but that Zoltan would have to come along which was of course no problem since everyone at work loves him!

CCI recommends waiting until the pup is older (around 6 months) before going into the buildings vs. standing outside and working on socialization, but we made sure he went potty before entering the mall and he was pretty tired from his nursing home visit. My call was about 30 minutes long and he sat in the office with me the whole time like a good boy. 

I can only imagine what was running through his head as we went into the mall. Zoltan: "Oh hey look! A person...Oh my gosh it's a pond INSIDE the house!" 
Me: "zoltan, that's not a pond it's a fountain and this is not your house buddy"
Zoltan: "Hey!! Somebody dropped popcorn on the floor for me" 
Me: "Dont!"
Zoltan: "but...but I know it's for me! Let me just try that again" 
Me: "leave it!"
Zoltan: "Ok fine"

When we left the mall, my mom (who was also with us) needed to stop at Wal*Mart to pick up a few things so Zoltan and I accompanied her there as well. While she was shopping I decided that we needed a plastic wading pool for the summer. It's a great way to entertain 4 dogs! Well, 1 of the 4 recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL so she didn't get to partake but Zoltan has found a new favorite activity! "Walks? Hah!" says Zoltan...just let me zoom around the yard and pounce in the pool and then run around the yard.  He had SO much fun.

Today when I came home from work Zoltan got to go for his first "real" walk since he has finished all of his shots and is "street legal" as I like to say. We walked to the park down the street and walked all over different kinds of surfaces. Then we practiced going potty (or "hurry" as we say in the CCI world) on the asphalt. It's much harder then one might think! Zoltan likes to pretend he is dying if you ask him to "hurry" on a funky surface when he can see the grass just mere feet away! Then, this evening we attended our first ever CCI obedience class! We are required to do at least 2 classes per month and I have been taking Zoltan to a class close to home since 7:15 on a Friday night I'm usually at work. Tonight just happened to work out and we had a blast. I think I'm going to take off work a few Friday's a month so we can attend the CCI class instead.

As I type this Zoltan is laying on his back, snoring  and mostly just looking adorable. He really is an awesome puppy and I'm so glad we are going to be able to go on so many more cool adventures in the coming months. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment